Monday 1 September 2014

Scents of summer #2…re-living summer nights in September sun

Well, guys and dolls, more summer reminiscing...

We've had a think as to which fragrances make us remember burning sand on our toes and sun on our shoulders, but which fragrances will keep alive the memories of balmy evenings where you didn't need a jacket, skipped home along the beach - tracing the tideline and watching the moon...

For 2014, for me they'll be:

Liz Earle Botanical Essence No 15

This is actually quite a masculine scent - I've discovered by accident in work that it's very similar to Victor & Rolf's Spicebomb.

This one is going to be divisive, but I love it. Despite not liking clove and cinnamon in real life, they mix beautifully with the other extracts here to create a warm, organic scent which lasts all evening.

Opening with fresh, spice notes of pink pepper, cinnamon and bergamot this dries down to a heart of rose, while sandalwood and vanilla bean come out in the base notes.



Freak by Illamasqua

I find this scent a little unusual - not least of all given the key notes that it boasts! While it's meant to unisex, I think it's less overtly masculine than the Liz Earle to be honest!

Top notes include black davana and belladonna, with a heart of poison hemlock and queen of the night. The base includes frankincense, oud and myrrh. Like I said - a very dramatic fragrance by its own admission!

I find the perfume incredibly wearable, and am also head over heels with its younger yet even more grown up sister Freak Scarab. If you've not tried either pop down to your nearest counter and have a whiff. You won't regret it! Also, I might mention here you can get really good deals (more on Freak than Scarab) in the Illamasqua sale which happens about twice a year.

Pure Poison by Christian Dior

Again, this one is divisive but for very different reasons to the Liz Earle.

This is heavily driven by white flowers and can smell incredibly good or like something which fell off your granny's dressing table. I hope that I fall into the former camp - in any case I think I do, so I'm going to go with that!

Do try before you buy - a work colleague who admired it on me was going to buy it but on trying it simply didn't work with her skin. It's expensive so I think this warning is worth giving in advance!

What are you guys wearing to extend the summer nights into the early autumn?

Til next time kitty cats - love, curly hair and floral scented hugs

xx Josephine xx


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...