Friday 12 September 2014

Eyeliners - blackest blacks and fun colours

Hola chicas y chicos

How are you doing on this fine and dandy Wednesday? Hopefully you're on a quick coast to the weekend now you've broken the back of the week.

So I've been building up to The Eye posts for a while now…my name is Josephine and I'm a Liner-holic. I've been on a 16 year + quest to find the blackest blacks, the truest colours in eyeliner pencils. Hopefully in a medium that doesn't actually drag half of my eyelid to my ear to show some colour…



Colours first!

Despite colours potentially seeming a bit more intimidating than your general black to start with they can be a lot easier to wear and there are some decent little items that you can pick up which aren't overly pricey but don't result in a sludgy colour…unless that's what you want!

From left to right we have:


Avon Glimmerstick Diamonds - Twilight Sparkle. This swatch took several swipes, but the dark blue then really shows.

Gosh Velvet Touch - Purple Stain. This comes in a wide variety of colours and can be a decent dupe for some MAC pencils.

L'Oreal Contour Khol - 164 Brun Chrome. I think this is a really pretty khaki colour, and a decent dupe for Laura Mercier's Black Gold pencil.

Rimmel Scandaleyes - Taupe. A gel formulation in a pencil format. Really great pencil for a subtle liner, they've also got a great black and nude shade. I use the latter on the waterline instead of a white.

Smashbox Cream Liner Artist pencil - Imperial. The most pricey in the list but I do love the cream liner formula. I usually set this with a powder shadow to minimise any creasing throughout the day.

L'Oreal Contour Khol - Dark Chocolate. I got this free actually in one of L'Oreal's Christmas gift bundles. Intense but still brown this is a great alternative to black - fantastic depth of colour.

Classic black...

I started on kohl liners in my teens, before a flirtation with liquid liners and then graduating onto gel liners. I still use pencils on nights out or for a blended out look. Each of these liners (other than the last) don't look very intense - but these are single swipe swatches unlike some of the colour liners above, most of which I did 2 or 3 passes for to show the colour properly.

Left to right we have:

L'Oreal Superliner Mat-matic in black. I really like the black finish on this along with matte. Great to have underneath a shadow to blend out.

L'Oreal Infallible liner - black. Comes with a handy rubber blending tool on the other end, but is drier in formulation to the mat-matic, which can lead to breakages.

No7 Amazing Eyes liner - the above two liners are of the "ever sharp" twist up format, this is a traditional pencil which you can sharpen to get a finer line.

Rimmel Kohl - I've always had one of these kicking around since buying one in a pinch when I was about 18. Great black for the price and pretty decent performance on the waterline. Also traditional format so you can sharpen.

Avon Supershock Gel liner pencil - the blackest line (similar to the Scandaleyes) but this is softer, so gets blunt more quickly and you need to blend quickly before it sets!

What's your favourite liner formulation / colour? There are some great pencils on the High Street and you should also check out Bourjois' offerings for some good performers and a lovely khaki colour kohl.

Til next time kitty kats - love, hugs and pretty eye liners for you

xx Josephine xx


Twitter: @JojoSparklesNI




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...